After Terrence Ross dropped 10 threes on his way to 51 points on Saturday night I began to think of the most unlikely 50 point scorers in NBA history. I was shocked by how many players qualify for that list.
Here are the 25 guys who shocked us the most when they put up 50.
25. Jamal Crawford: Even though Crawford is averaging 15.5 points per game over his career he has managed to score at least 50 points three times.
24. Truck Robinson: Robinson finished with a career average on 15.5 points a game. He scored 51 points on Nov. 21st, 1978.
23. Ray Williams: like Robinson and Crawford, Williams averaged 15.5 points a game. He scored 52 points on April 17th, 1982.
22. Phil Smith: even though Smith has a career average of 15.1 points a game, he scored 51 points in two contests in 1976.
21. Rashard Lewis: Lewis scored 50 points on Oct. 31st, 2003 in a season where he averaged 17.8 points a night. For his career, Lewis is averaging 15 points a contest.
20. Mike Newlin: Newlin has a career average of 14.9 points a game. He put up his 52 point game on Dec. 16th, 1972.
19. Michael Adams: Adams finished his career with an average of 14.7 points a contest. His career high came on march 23rd, 1991 when he scored 54 points.
18. Freeman Williams: Williams scored 51 points on Jan. 19th, 1980 during a season when he was averaging 18.6 points a night. For his career, Williams averaged 14.7 points a game.
17. Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf: Abdul-Rauf scored 51 points on Dec. 7th, 1995. He finished his career with an average of 14.6 points a contest.
16. Fred Brown: Brown put up an astounding 58 points on March 23rd, 1974 during a season when he averaged 16.5 points a night. For his career, Brown registered 14.6 points a game.
15. Charles Smith: Smith scored 52 points on Dec. 1st, 1990. He had a career average on 14.4 points a game.
14. Nick Anderson: Anderson put up 50 points on April 23rd, 1993 during a season when he averaged less than 20 points a game. For his career, Anderson put up 14.4 points a night.
13. Jim Jackson: Jackson scored 50 points on Nov. 26th, 1994. He finished his career with an average of 14.3 points a contest.
12. Cedric Ceballos: Ceballos scored 50 points on Dec. 20th, 1994. He finished with a career average 14.3 points a game.
11. Clifford Robinson: Robinson scored 50 points on Jan. 16th, 2000 in a season where he average 18.5 points a night. For his career, Robinson averaged 14.2 points a contest.
10. Andre Miller: Miller scored 52 points on Jan. 30th, 2010 in a season where he put up 14 points a contest. For his career, Miller is averaging 13.6 points a game.
9. Damon Stoudamire: Stoudamire scored 54 points on Jan. 14th, 2005 during a year where he averaged less than 16 points a night. Stoudamire finished with a career average of 13.4 points a game.
8. Jermaine O’Neal: O’Neal scored 55 points on Jan. 4th, 2005. He has a career average of 13.3 points a game.
7. Vernon Maxwell: “Mad Max” scored 51 points on Jan. 26th, 1991 during a season when he averaged 17 points. Maxwell finished his career averaging 12.8 points a contest.
6. Dana Barros: Barros scored 50 points on March 14th, 1995 during his lone All-Star season. For his career, Barros averaged 10.5 points a night.
5. Willie Burton: Burton scored 53 points on Dec. 13th, 1994 during a season when he averaged 15.3 points a game. For his career, Burton averaged 10.3 points a contest.
4. Tony Delk: Delk scored 53 points on Jan. 2nd, 2001 during a season where he averaged 12.3 points a game. For his career, Delk averaged. 9.1 points a night.
3. Tracy Murray: Murray scored 50 points on Feb. 10th, 1998 in a Season where he put up 15.1 points a night. For his career, Murray averaged nine points a game.
2. Walt Wesley: Wesley scored 50 points on Feb. 19th, 1971. For his career, Wesley averaged 8.5 points a night.
1. Terrence Ross: Ross is averaging 10.2 points a game this year and has a career average of 7.8 points a night.