Thanks to a three-week break between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs, it is the perfect time to look back at Jimmer Fredette’s amazing second season in the CBA with the Shanghai Sharks.
While the hype hasn’t been as big as his first year in the league, Fredette may have actually had a better individual season this time around as he led the Sharks to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2002.
After all, he averaged more points on better shooting from beyond the arc and from the foul line. He also averaging more assists and more steals while committing fewer turnovers and fouls.
Here is a look back at some of the remarkable feats that Jimmer accomplished during season 2.
He had a massive season scoring the ball and broke many of the Sharks’ team scoring records in the process.
- He set a club record in total points with 1423 and scoring average with 37.45.
- He also smashed his own team records for 50-point games with seven and 40-point games with 16.
- Became the fastest player in CBA history to reach 2,000 points.
Here are the recaps and game highlights of those remarkable 50-point games.
- Game 10: Fredette has best scoring night of the season in tough loss
- Game 14: Fredette goes for 50 as Sharks snap losing streak
- Game 17: Fredette with another amazing scoring game in big Sharks win
- Game 26: Fredette drops 50 again; Earns All-Star game invite
A lot of his success on the offensive end came thanks to his fantastic season shooting the ball.
- Led the league and set a new team record with 203 3-point makes. He also led the league in average three’s per game with 5.3.
- Led the league and set a new team record as he shot 94.8 percent from the foul line in 270 attempts.
- His 19-for-19 shooting from the line against Jilin was a new team record.
- His 93.8 percent shooting from the foul line in two seasons is the top mark in CBA history.
Along with his scoring, Fredette also made plenty of other contributions on the floor.
- Finished at No. 26 in the league in total rebounds with 254.
- Finished at No. 8 in the league in total assists with 203.
- Finished at No. 7 in the league in steals with 77.
All told, he averaged 37.45 points on 45.2 percent shooting from the floor, 42.3 percent from 3-point range and 94.8 percent from the charity stripe. He also chipped in with 6.7 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 2.0 steals in 41 minutes a contest during the regular season.
Stats from Shanghai Basketball via Sina Sports.
Photo credit: By Bagumba (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)%5D, via Wikimedia Commons